Our admissions process is not formula-driven. Instead, we make informed decisions based on your background.
The Admissions and Financial Aid Committee will evaluate your admission to LER based on the whole picture – what you’ve studied and where, how well you did in your classes, GRE or GMAT scores, prior work experience, and what your references have to say about you. We encourage a wide variety of students to apply because we find that different majors, ethnic backgrounds, and work experiences enrich our classes.
You must also meet the general entrance requirements of the Graduate College at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign.
You must complete an undergraduate course in statistics before you can take the graduate level statistics course. We strongly recommend this course be completed before enrollment (it may be taken without graduate credit during the first semester, but doing so may delay completion of the program due to course sequencing).
How to Apply
All applicants must submit the following:
- Completed online application through the Graduate College at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. All supporting materials must be submitted online with the application.
- Application fee: $70 domestic and $90 international
- Transcripts of all academic work submitted online with application
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can speak to your ability to do graduate level work and/or your commitment and interest in the field of human resource management and industrial relations – submitted electronically
- For the GRE, please report electronically to Institution Code 1836 (no subject test required) OR request your GMAT scores be sent to code VKR-TK-05. Don’t wait to submit your application. Scores will automatically upload into your application.
- GRE/GMAT test scores are optional for the on-campus program if you have a minimum 3.3 GPA on your junior/senior year academic coursework (equivalent to the last 60 hours) and a B or higher in an elementary statistics/quantitative methods course. Questions about your eligibility for a GRE/GMAT waiver should be directed to Assistant Dean Becky Barker (email@example.com).
- GRE/GMAT waivers are available for the online program if you have at least 3 years of HR experience or 5 years of managerial experience. A combination of a variety of factors such as educational background and years of overall full-time experience may also be considered. Questions about your eligibility for the GRE/GMAT waiver should be directed to Associate Director Eden Haycraft (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- GRE/GMAT waivers are not offered for the PhD program.
- For on-campus international applicants, minimum English language scores for admissions consideration include TOEFL score of 96 ibt or IELTS overall score of 6.5. Additional information regarding full status admission and exemptions can be found on The Graduate College website.
- Online international students must receive a minimum total TOEFL score of 103 ibt or minimum overall IELTS score of 7.5. You can learn more about the English proficiency requirements here.
- Declaration of Finances (International applicants only) with Program Code 10KS0364MHRI on the form (on-campus programs only)
- Statement of purpose submitted online with your completed application
Unlike many MBA programs, we do not require an interview. However, we strongly encourage you to visit campus and see for yourself how our high-tech, high-touch environment can help you succeed.
Fall application deadline is February 1; spring applications are due November 1 for the on-campus MHRIR program. Applicants will be notified around March 15 for fall and around December 1 for spring admission. We will consider late applications, past the deadlines, until we reach our enrollment capacity. Please contact Assistant Dean Becky Barker (email@example.com) for more information.
The online program admits individuals on a rolling basis and accepts fall applications until July 1, spring applications until November 1 and Summer applications until April 1. We will consider late applications, past the deadlines, until we reach our enrollment capacity. Please contact Associate Director Eden Haycraft (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.
Still Have Questions? Let’s Talk!
An admissions counselor will be in touch to talk about your career goals and put you in touch with current students and alumni.