Adam McGahay, May 2023 Graduate
Summer 2022 Intern at Madison Industries in Chicago, IL

Q: What do you hope to accomplish in the first five years of being an HR professional?

A: I’d like to explore all the different aspects of HR. I haven’t had the opportunity to be exposed to all the different ways HR impacts a company’s success. In five years, I want to have more experience and business acumen under my belt in order to make a difference in my career.

Q: What is one of your experiences that has taught you the most?

A: As a marketing intern, we partnered with cancer patients and their families to help create better resources for their journey. It was humbling to hear about their resiliency and determination despite their struggles. It made me expand my awareness and empathy to situations that I have never seen previously. It also showed me how companies can take steps to make a difference in these people’s lives. Although I don’t know if I’ll be in healthcare or what my employees will be facing, I hope to make a positive impact on whatever struggles they may be enduring in or outside of work.

Q: What has been your favorite class at LER?

A: Collective Bargaining in Sports & Entertainment. Taking a class by Professor Leroy is a must while at LER. Understanding all the nuances among industries has been enlightening. Sometimes you don’t know what you don’t know. It has helped me learn what approach I’ll need to have when applying what I have learned to whatever industry I end up in. It has also sparked my interest to dive further into collective bargaining. I plan on taking another class next semester to be better versed in the process.

Q: What is a skill that you’re most proud of?

A: I have relied a lot on my adaptable communication. My parents instilled in me that everyone deserves respect and understanding. I’ve learned that everyone is different, so their needs vary as well. No two situations are completely the same, and I have learned a lot about what people truly need and want by listening. Taking the time to listen, understand, and respond accordingly is a skill that I know will help me throughout my career.