Apply to the Master’s Program
Our admissions process is not formula-driven. Instead, we make informed decisions based on your background.
The Admissions and Financial Aid Committee will evaluate your admission to LER based on the whole picture – what you’ve studied and where, how well you did in your classes, GRE or GMAT scores, prior work experience, and what your references have to say about you. We encourage a wide variety of students to apply because we find that different majors, ethnic backgrounds, and work experiences enrich our classes.
You must also meet the general entrance requirements of the Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
You must complete an undergraduate course in statistics before you can take the graduate level statistics course. We strongly recommend this course be completed before enrollment (it may be taken without graduate credit during the first semester, but doing so may delay completion of the program due to course sequencing).
How to Apply
All applicants must submit the following:
- Completed online application through The Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Select “Labor and Employment Relations” for your proposed program and “Human Resources and Industrial Relations (Online) – MHRIR” as your proposed degree
- Application fee: $70 domestic and $90 international
- Official or unofficial transcripts of all academic work submitted online with application
- Three letters of recommendation from people who can speak to your ability to do graduate level work and/or your commitment and interest in the field of human resource management and industrial relations – submitted electronically
- GRE test scores (no subject test required) reported electronically to Institution Code 1836 OR GMAT scores sent to code VKR-TK-05. Don’t wait to submit your application. Scores will automatically upload into your application. A waiver of the GRE requirement may be available to applicants with 3 or more years of direct HR experience or 5 years of related managerial experience. Please contact us to determine your eligibility.
- Statement of purpose submitted online with your completed application.
For international applicants:
- For international applicants, minimum TOEFL score of 590 PBT, 243 CBT, or 96 iBT reported electronically to Institution Code 1836. IELTS also accepted.
- If you are residing in the United States, you will need to demonstrate that you are on a non-student visa that allows study. If you are planning to reside abroad, please select this option in your application materials.
Admissions are conducted on a rolling basis.
- To start the program in January, apply by November 1 of the preceding year.
- To start the program in May, apply by April 1.
- To start the program in August, apply by July 1.