Apply to the Doctoral Program
If you have outstanding academic credentials, with or without a master’s degree, we strongly encourage you to apply to the doctoral program.
To be admitted to the School of Labor and Employment Relations, you must meet the general entrance requirements to the Graduate College at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Read more about Graduate College admissions requirements at grad.illinois.edu.
You must complete an undergraduate course in statistics. We strongly recommend this course be completed before enrolling (it may be taken without graduate credit during the first semester, but doing so may delay completion of the program due to course sequencing).
How to Apply
To complete your application, please provide the following:
- Completed application form submitted online through the Graduate College. All supporting materials must be submitted online with the application.
- Application fee: $70 domestic, $90 international
- Transcripts of all academic work submitted online with application
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty who can speak to your potential for conducting research, submitted electronically
- GRE scores (no subject test required) reported electronically to Institution Code 1836 OR request your GMAT scores be sent to code VKR-TK-83.
- TOEFL scores if necessary (590 PBT, 243 CBT, and 96 iBT score minimums) reported electronically to Institution Code 1836. IELTS also accepted.
- Declaration of Finances (international students only) with Program Code 10KS0364PHD on the form
- Evidence of research and writing ability, such as a master’s or undergraduate thesis, special reports, or published articles. This should be uploaded with the application as a Program Specific Question.
Applications are due January 7 for fall admission. Spring admission is only available to students currently enrolled in the master’s program; applications are due November 1. Applicants will be notified by April 1 for fall admission, and December 15 for spring admission.