Beth Davis, December 2022 Graduate
Summer 2022 Intern at AbbVie in North Chicago, IL

Q: What do you hope to accomplish in the first five years of being a professional?

A: The beginning of a new venture is always filled a lot of learning as I’m pushed out of my comfort zone. I’m excited that I can have that opportunity to grow and learn in the field of Human Resources. It is something that I know will challenge me personally and professionally.

Q: What is one of your experiences that has taught you the most?

A: Before starting LER, I worked in law for about a year and a half. Initially, I was not planning to work in HR; however, seeing the consequences of not having an HR role to support the business and employees left a significant impact on my experience and my career goals. I learned that I can make a difference for these employees and their livelihoods.

Q: What has been your favorite class at LER?

A: Social Justice & the Workplace: Dr. Gilbert is a wonderful professor. It’s so easy for us to forget the history behind all the policies and laws that we enforce. It is important to remember the impact of discrimination and unjust systems in order to prevent even unconscious bias in the workplace. This class taught me about the subject matter, but also how to apply it to the work that I’ll be doing throughout my career.

Q: What is a skill that you’re most proud of?

A: My determination has brought me very far. It has translated into learning to have preparation, initiative, and patience. Without the drive to reach seemingly elusive goals, I would not have grown into the person that I am today.