Darby Halper, December 2022 Graduate
Summer 2022 Intern at Lear Corporation, Hammond, IN

Q: What do you hope to accomplish in the first five years of being a professional?

A: Whether it’s corporate or front-line, I want my employees to have the support they need to face everything that life throws at them and to realize their full value to the company.

Q: What is one of your experiences that has taught you the most?

A: Being a manager taught me more than I thought it would. The diversity in background, life stages, culture, and ages was incredible to encounter and learn from. Uniting a team to accomplish a collective goal can be challenging, but I grew personally and professionally from the experience.

Q: What has been your favorite class at LER?

A: Collective bargaining! It has taught me a lot, but also pushed me out of my comfort zone. Negotiating a union contract was a very foreign idea to me. Now I have the experience to enter a contract negotiation with the knowledge of how it affects the company, the employees, and the industry.

Q: What is a skill that you’re most proud of?

A: I use every experience as a learning tool. There are times that you don’t know everything. Learning from others or from my own mistakes has helped me get to where I am today.